Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pressing In To Suffering

I woke up last night with my leg really hurting. I have been having leg cramps during the night pretty often but nothing like this.
Always before I would take my foot, the one on the end of the leg that was hurting , and I would press my foot to the futon end bar. Actually I had started sleeping on the futon because of the two round bars that serve as arm rests when folded up for sitting , and head and ends for a bed when laid down. A doctor had once told a friend of mine that if she would fix herself up a brace to press her foot against at night when the leg cramps started that they would then subside.
This had been working pretty good for me , after about 5 minutes of foot pressing the cramps would subside and I could go back to sleep.
But last night was different. I woke to a greater degree of pain in my leg than I ever had before. I couldn't bring myself to press on the bar. I got up and took some aspirin then laid back down. After about 20 minutes the pain lessened to the dull cramp that I was use to in my leg. I would then press my foot for a while , for some reason I could not stick with it for 5 minutes . I would find myself waking up over and over with a leg cramp all during the night.
About 6 a.m. I woke still hurting , my first thought was what will my scripture for today be?
Groggily I thought, suffering. Something about suffering. As I laid there awake enough now to stick with a 5 minute foot press I quoted to myself Romans 5:3-5 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. NIV
Somehow first thing in the morning my thoughts always seem clearer. I thought to myself now do I really think that Paul was talking about this kind of suffering ? Somehow , no , it did not seem likely to me. More likely he was talking about the kind of suffering one does when they know that they are not liked because of who or what they are. Yet as I have been learning lately I must press on, I must not react as though I am unloved. I must react as though I am loved. I must press on and believe that I can not be separated from God's love. That no matter what any one says to me or does that affects me I must press in and believe that there is no way that what they do that can interfere with what God has planned for me.
Since God is the bigger power here , no ones little attempts , or failed attempts to show love even , will mount to a hill of beans compared to God's love.
I am one of those people that hear , "bless your heart," a lot , or "aren't you sweet." Somehow it feels like some throwing marshmallows at me , instead of love. Of course , marshmallows really is nothing to complain about. If you are one of those people that you hear, "bless your heart ," a lot , you'll know what I mean.
But it is okay. Because God has got a pure sweet true , solid kind of love for me that I do not have to worry about if no one else can come up with. His is best , all I have to do is press in.

No comments:

Post a Comment