Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Hour Now Is (Added on to.)

John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Yesterday I was talking about high places.
High places came to mean for me , those places that I thought I had reached God's approval.
A place that God approves of is not bad.

As a child I was raised in a church that worshipped God. I mean worshipped God for hours. The services called worship services were "worship services." And the intent was to worship Him in spirit and in truth.

At twenty two I realised my life was pretty much a mess and the only hope I had was that God might do something to make it better . So out of desperation I committed my life to Him. You read that right. (Much , much later did I learn the truth about receiving His forgiveness .)

So out of a sense of commitment , I set aside "worship times." I am realizing now , here in the Bible belt that others have this same kind of understanding , but it is "read the Bible." Some have the "prayer time, or quiet time."

Mine was the "worship time " and unlike the "Bible time" or "quiet time" , it can only be done with the assistance of the Holy Spirit. I am assuming my readers know there is a difference between "praise " and "worship."

To attain a "worship time" I had learned it helpful to first have a "praise time." Sometimes I finished my time set aside for worship , having only praised the LORD. But I felt good about what I had done. As I now look back upon what I did back then , I in a sense went up the mountain to worship God in high places. Yet , because it was all about "what I was doing," the HOLY SPIRIT was quenched . The Holy Spirit or the accuser of the brethren , ( I am not sure ) would tell me that I was building a tower of Babel , and that God was not pleased with that.

Then I would quit my worship times. Then I would become sad and defeated . Then I would decide that maybe what I was doing , even if wrong was better than nothing at all. So I would try again.

When the woman at the well spoke to Jesus about , some say we are to worship in the mountain and some say the temple , I think she was referring to the high places up in the mountains. I think that it had become okay to build altars and worship God up in the mountains . Now I hope I have not stepped on some historians toes and he corrects me. Even if I am wrong about that as a historical fact , the truth is I still can climb the mountain to worship God.

I try to believe God is pleased with me in my low places but , wow , give me a high place and I can take off.

Did you notice the words "can" in the last two sentences ? I can means , I can make a choice to do those things , or I can make a choice to do something else.

I rejoice today in the Truth that has set me free to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

There is no need to attain a sense of satisfaction that I have adequately carried out my commitment to please God.

I have been released from that prison cell and I am dancing with my Father God in fields of grace !

No comments:

Post a Comment