Monday, January 19, 2009

His Banner Over Me Is Love

There is a song that goes, "Love lifted me, love lifted me, when nothing else would help , love lifted me."

When I began to realize that I was truly loved by the Father of Jesus Christ my life started changing. Just as the "thaw" of the winter in Narnia , I began to see things that I knew must of been there but I could never remember seeing before.

I live in a thawing process. So sometimes I imagine my word of testimony may seem strange to you. Many times I picture everyone else "thawed out" already and basking in the full true love of our Saviour and His Father.

Should you care to join me today and peek at my word of testimony , I will have to tell you it is the book of Song of Solomon , and 1 Cr. 13 . These passages of scripture remind me of the true love that God is trying to give me. It is there , under that ice , my cold hard heart (that is thawing ).
How I happened to find these words was no accident. A long time ago I came across a book titled Hiding From Love by Dr. John Townsend . Now the first five readings of that book left me frustrated so unless you are willing to take my suggestion that I offer you now, I would not bother buying the book. However, should you want to do this , I find it very worth while.
There are some charts in the book that list the different hiding styles Dr. Townsend has become familiar with , and these charts are placed into sections. Example : Hiding from attachment , Hiding from Authority and Adulthood , so on.
So due to some serious problem with bringing my thoughts to the obedience of Christ I thought I would bring out my book today. I proceed to use this book , as I now suggest to you , should you buy it.
I go to the chart that sounds like it might have something to do with my current situation.
I read the first hiding style , out loud and then ask my Heavenly Father if this might be my problem . Then I read the defensive behaviour that is evident when a person uses that style of hiding from love, and again , I ask my Heavenly Father , what does He think, am I doing that ? Then I read the recommended steps for coming out of hiding, and I ask my Father again, what does He think , will these steps help me ? Then I go back into the previous chapter to where Dr. Townsend talks about that hiding style and I read what he has to say. I wait a few moments , think over his suggestion to read the Songs of Solomon. I remember another author Hannah Hurnard who wrote Hinds Feet on High Places and her love for the Songs of Solomon. Hannah also seemed to have a desire to know true love.
So I read the Songs of Solomon (first half) with the hope the Holy Spirit will bring me some enlightenment.
He does, as always, I feel warmer , hopeful , and encouraged and as I fix my breakfast I decide to listen to 1 Corinthians 13 on CD and remember His love for me is just like that .

No comments:

Post a Comment