Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Annointing

Another title could be "Oil".

I have always been fascinated with the Jewish customs . The LORD was trying to tell us about His love for us through them. Visual aids as it were . Jesus also enjoyed uncovering the truth about these symbols , I think. My picture of Jesus standing and declaring "He was the light !" at a Jewish festival is one of an artist taking the veil (or cover) off of His beautiful masterpiece for everyone to see.

That is why I think He enjoys revealing truth to me. When I share that truth , I hope it is as if I handing around His masterpiece. "Look, " I am saying, "Look at what the LORD has done !" Maybe when it is at first handed to you , you don't see. Maybe it looks like one of those normal paintings you see down at the library by a local artist . Hopefully as we are talking about the painting together , you will begin to see, what great detail , what splendid ideas , the LORD has created , all for the purpose that we might know Him.

My word of testimony today : Matt 25:4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

In this parable it seems the purpose is not so much that we would know Him but that we would be ready for His coming.

I want to be ready. I would be so sad if after all this time I spent working on every other preparation for His arrival , I lacked oil.
I fear such a thing is possible . I must be wise.

I will tell you what I think oil is and how I try to not take from another , their oil.

This is an exhortation to me , to be a doer of the word as I understand how the LORD wants it done. As you read this exhortation believe with me , that from this day forward , I will do this.

When I go to gatherings of believers I go , following the Spirit. I go ready to be a doer of the word. Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; also Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

I believe that when I am a doer of the word I am bringing as it were , "oil" to that group.

My oil is not for sale. I certainly do not want to give my oil away either. I am bringing my own oil to use for my own benefit, that I might teach and admonish others who can equally admonish and teach as well. Other wise my lamp is going to go dry , the light is going to go out , and I am going to be hard pressed to get it lite again.

I've asked permission to give a ten to fifteen minute talk about worship Tuesday night. If these women are truly interested in having their lamps filled with oil , I hope permission will be granted. If they are not really wanting to have oil in their own lamps but to just continually ask of others to give them oil , then I hope the Spirit will warn me. I think it is time I start taking stock of my own supply and be wise.

One more text for today. I think a few days back I talked about how the spirit was warning me to not be as Aarons sons who had found strange fire to light the lamp. I remember saying at the time I had not fully read this story but the point that day I felt was , when I am worshipping the LORD to be led by the Spirit .

Here is an interesting addition to this story. The light was never suppose to go out. The oil was suppose to be continually be added to the lamp as needed so it would never go out. Look at these verses.
Exodus 27:20-21 "And you shall command the children of Israel that they bring you pure oil of pressed olives for the light, to cause the lamp to burn continually. In the tabernacle of meeting, outside the veil which is before the Testimony, Aaron and his sons shall tend it from evening until morning before the LORD. It shall be a statute forever to their generations on behalf of the children of Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment