Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Ought I do About the Ought?

God's Word is a lamp unto my feet. The Holy Spirit is the oil that provides for me a Way to walk.

Mark 11:25
And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Matt 5:23-24 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

When I put "ought " in the word search in blueletterbible.org I came up with 97 places in the Bible that the word was used. In almost every case the word had about the same meaning as "should."
I take Matt 5:23 to mean if you remember that a brother is thinking you "should " do something , or maybe if he is thinking you "should" have done something.

Sometimes without wanting to say, "You sinner !" our actions shout out "I think you should do this !" or "You should of done that ."

For myself , if that is what I am thinking about someone , I know to forgive.

If someone is thinking this way towards me , I am to help him forgive me.

This is one of those areas that I ask the Holy Spirit "what does that look like ?"

The picture I get is of Jesus washing the disciples feet.

My word of testimony is I will follow the example of Jesus. Even as Jesus was willing to wash the feet of those who would be saying ," You should do this," ( and it was different from what His Heavenly Father had told Him.)

In my mind , Jesus also allowed Himself to have His feet washed , as water baptism I think is a type of foot washing.

My picture of how to walk this out in my own life is kind of dim. As I share this word of testimony I hope the light will become brighter.

If I see this right , it's first forgive the person who has ought against me because he thinks I am doing wrong. I forgive him for having an ought , ( an attitude of you should of done this, or you should be doing that, or you should do this. )

Then , ( see this is the part I want to do backwards ) then go and help this person to see me as one who is righteous , not because of my works , but because of the gift of righteousness given me from Jesus. He may be right, I am sinning ,or did sin , but only Jesus can wash my sins away. Should I be successful and the brother agrees , "Yes, Jesus has washed your sins away, " he too would pick up the bowl and want to wash my feet.

First things , first. As I wash the brother's feet , I am saying ," You are forgiven by me for having an ought against me. "

I know Jesus did this, and He promised that greater things than He did , would we do , in His name. Once again, I go forth to obey and walk by faith.

Miracles do happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment