Tuesday, March 17, 2009

To Whom He Was Sent

Acts 26 :12-20 “While thus occupied, as I journeyed to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, at midday, O king, along the road I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining around me and those who journeyed with me. And when we all had fallen to the ground, I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.”

Every time I study this word I get a new sense of urgency. If I could re-write the song, "Open the eyes of my heart , LORD ," I would add in how I wanted to turn from the power of Satan to God. I would add into it's content also how I wanted to receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance by being sanctified by faith in Jesus.

Of course opening the eyes of my heart , comes first. Just opening the eyes of my heart will not be the complete work though. Turning from darkness to light. Would it be possible to continue turning toward darkness after your eyes were opened ? I think I would say , "Yes." I can sense the desire of my flesh to go back to sleep . This I think is in context to what Paul is being told by Jesus, and then is retelling to King Agrippa. Also in Eph 5: 14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

I think I have to constantly guard against falling back asleep , once my eyes have been opened.
The best thing to do when trying to wake up in the morning is , get up and do something. Walk around , sit up , something different from the sleeping position I was in. I think asking God to give me a word of testimony every day is helping me stay awake. I want to turn from the power of Satan to God.

Now that I am awake I want to receive forgiveness of sins and receive an inheritance for those who are sanctified by faith in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment