Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What Really Matters

Years ago I sought the LORD for help . I was gaining weight , I was very unhappy, and I was living with a husband that I could not make happy.

Four things but three had me captive in an emotional prison that made me feel separated from God. Yet, I had this hope that God hears those who call for help.

I heard about this organization called OA . A twelve step group for over eaters.
My problem was being fat, I had figured because my husband had been happy when I was thin. When ever I wanted to go somewhere that I did not feel I had his approval or even his support I would always come home with a sense of dread . I just knew he would be unhappy and so every thing that I might have found helpful , say at a church service, simply went out of my head and sorrow and glum would fill me when I would return home.

What I am describing to you is the life of a person who has made her husband her god. Well, obviously the real God was in my life so maybe we should say , he was my idol. Now does God hear people who have idols in their life ? Yes , He does. He heard me and He has been helping me. Idolatry has not kept Him from hearing my prayers or answering my cry for help.

At the time this was going on I did not think that my husband was an idol to me. I did not even like him very much because he was so unhappy. Now food. I thought that maybe food could be an idol in my life and if I could get rid of the food idol , maybe my husband would be happy again.

I am glad that I remember how I use to think. It all seemed so rational back then . I am glad I remember because I want to have a right spirit towards others who are struggling with idolatry right now. The blindness it causes to truth is amazing to me today. I am so thankful that I realize the before and after because it is motivation for me to want no idols in my life today.

When I had prayed about going to OA or not , I found this scripture . At that time in my life I had not been taught the importance of context or even reading the whole story around a scripture . God's word and the Holy Spirit is what has lead me out of bondage and into His glorious light. Even when out of context and incomplete , He has used His word to help out of a prison of darkness that is filled with lies.

Here is the scripture Judges 6:27 Then Gideon took ten men of his servants, and did as the LORD had said unto him: and [so] it was, because he feared his father's household, and the men of the city, that he could not do [it] by day, that he did [it] by night.

The thing that Gideon and his ten men servants did was knock down some idols. I took that scripture to mean that God might not mind to much if I went to a group for support while I tried to knock down the idol , Food.

I went to OA for several years . I am so glad that I did. For one thing I really understand what the twelve step programs are and I have a respect for the help that any support group can give to individuals who are wanting to knock down some idol in their life.

Today my word of testimony is 2 Tim 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

The idols that I want removed from my life will go as I want God to be my only God. The sound mind , the absence of fear which is peace , the power and the love will fill this temple . There will be no room for idols . For what ever reason I think I must hold on to them or want to hold on to them , I trust the sound mind will change my heart's attitude towards them. The love of God and the power of God and the sound mind of God surely can set this temple in order.

May I be blessed to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment